Monday, July 21, 2014

Stories Vol 18: Passing on Chiang Rai



This past December 18th was probably one of the most memorable days of my life. Why you ask? It was the day I got my call from Kellogg and the day I committed to quitting my job at General Mills and doing an extended trip during the summer.

To be honest I took a risk with the job at Mills. The woman heading up the new analyst program promised opportunities to learn from some of the best marketers in the consumer packaged goods industry, however, there was one caveat, there was NO CAREER PATH. Essentially I was putting all of my eggs into one bucket and by taking the position I trapped myself in some sense at Mills in the short term.

General Mills is a fantastic company but it wasn't necessarily the perfect fit for me at this point in my life and so the wait for grad school acceptances was that much more stressful. I had only applied to 3 schools: Stanford, NYU an and Kellogg. By the time the morning of the 18th rolled around I had received some not so exciting news from both Stanford and NYU. Kellogg was tied for my first choice with Stanford but I had nothing to fall back on now. To top it all off, Kellogg calls everyone that is admitted on the same day and then that night emails out rejection letter to all those not accepted.

The morning of the 18th, I sat around at my desk, frantically checking my phone every other minute. In between that I'd check the blog message boards online to see if anyone from the Midwest had received their call. They started calling people at around 6am and by 9am my phone was dead from the number of times I had clicked the screen to look for a missed call.

This was my dream hanging there teetering back and forth on a balance. At 11 I started to see people from the Midwest post. The stress of the idea of not getting in hit my mind. Keen on distracting me a coworker grabbed me for lunch. I went reluctantly, figuring that the staff at Kellogg probably wouldn't make calls anyways during that hour as they had to eat as well.

By the end of lunch I was tense to say the least. I tried to hold conversation with my coworker but it was clear that my mind was else where. I apologized and they noted that they understood. On our walk back they tried to break the tension and they joked about how I had worn a purple polo that day (the school colors). Truth be told it was on accident but now I was very aware how intense I must appear in the office. When we got up to our floor, I checked my phone and grabbed my laptop. I was going to sit on the couches in the lobby and work. Maybe a change in scenery would help to distract me.

At 1:05pm shortly after sitting down on the couch, my phone started to ring. My heart started to race with the ferocity of a jolt of adrenaline. My breath quickened and I swiped the green circle right to answer the call.

"Hello, this is Morgan Lippitt."

"Hi Morgan, I'm calling from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern. How's your day going?"

Even though I knew this was THE call, I needed them to say it. It was not real unless they said it.

"I'm calling to let you know that you've been accepted to our 2yr MBA program."

My face contorted from the anxious and stale look I had worn all day to a giant smile. I could feel that my face had turned bright red. I couldn't stop smiling. My heart was racing and if I hadn't been at work I probably would have danced/shouted out the second I got off the phone. In that moment, I was no longer trapped, I was free but more importantly I accomplished the initial step of my long term goals
 
Having felt so fearful of being trapped in the role at General Mills for so long all I wanted for my time after working there was to feel free. As a result, I committed to traveling for 2 months over the summer but refused to actually plan out any details. I did not want to be bound to anything. I wanted as much freedom as I could afford myself for the trip given my budget. 

My original idea was that I would go to Chiang Rai near Chiang Mai after the girls left, however, not wanting to end my time with Tom and them I decided to cut the city from the agenda. This was the freedom that I wanted and was enjoying. As a result I had an extra two days and one night in Chiang Mai before I would hop on a night train with Tom to go to Bangkok and then fly to Northern Vietnam.

To fill that time, Tom and I took our bikes up into the mountains surrounding Chiang Mai. The girls had done this ride was some guys from the hostel and said it was amazing. One of the guys had actually crashed his bike, taking a turn to fast and almost in the process edged himself off the cliff. This worried us but having just spent the two previous days enjoying the motorbike experience we couldn't resist a final 4 hour ride out to a hill tribe village and back.



The ride was refreshing. Thai summers are brutally hot and the sun beats down upon you as if intentially trying to cook you from the outside in. This ride was thankfully covered completely by trees. The road snakes deep into the mountain curving in and out and around the large jutting sides. The higher you get into the mountain, the colder it gets. There was a point in which we were so high that a fog actually was surrounding us in cool mist. We couldn't even see down the Cliffside into town. 

Unlike the previous ride, my thoughts weren't toiling over people or situations. Instead I was just completely present, . All I could take in was the green hues the leaves and grass were giving off. There had been so much rain that the color was rich and deep as off chosen off a color palate. Absolutely unreal. As I sat on my bike riding through the pass, I yet again found myself hearing my friends voice from back home.

"Morgan, Remember Take back all the sights, sounds and tastes."

It's funny that this friend's words stuck with me so much, especially given how short I have known him. For some reason, they stuck with me. It was probably the greatest goodbye gift I got, a reminder to record and to archive my memories.

The ride that morning was just what I needed. It cleared my head. With the exception of my friends reminder, it forced me to stop thinking about the people and memories from the last 3 years. Like that call on the 18th, the ride freed me. All I could feel was pure happiness and awe. By the time I got back to the hostel, I was content to just sit there and write for the entirety of the afternoon. I didn't need to move or take action. I took the time to document and not reflect.

The only thing I needed to do that day was buy my own and Tom's train ticket for the next day's night train. He had decided to go to the zoo while I relaxed at the hostel. I had opted out, it wasn't for me.

With no agenda for the evening, I ended up tagging along with Tom to Jane's Restaurant for a BBQ night she had in the works. It really didn't take much to convince me to join Tom and some other guys from the cliff jumping caravan for dinner. All they needed to say was burger and Jane's. I was sold.

The BBQ was a thousand times better than I expected. Having grown up in the US, Jane had gone all out with the food. Potato salad, burgers, and Cole slaw. Everything was so freaking fantastic. At one point, we left after our first slider to go check out a local food stand market but only ended up coming back for another burger.


That was probably the best decision we made. We left when the party was dying down and when we came back it was just Jane and a small circle of her close friends. There was an attractive all American guy, a guy that looked like Harley from Lost and a few Indy/hipster Thai people.

As we got into introductions, we found out that the all American guy was actually a jazz saxophonist in Chiang Mai. Tom mentioned how he had heard a saxophone over by the old city wall earlier that day and as it turned out, it was Mr. All American, blowing away practicing for an upcoming show. I don't know if it was that I was enamored with him or if he actually was an interesting guy, but I found his story fascinating in the moment. With that said, now a month later, I struggle to recall it exactly. My guess is it was the former.

After introductions and back stories, the conversation switched to food. Food conversations are my forte. Maybe it's my inner fat kid or maybe it’s my work experience but I love talking to other nationalities about their food and sharing details on my own favorites. Jane and the all American went back and forth at one point on whether or not he should get royalties for giving her his dad's burger recipe that she used.

"Are you freaking stoned?" She retorted to his demand for credit.

"The recipe was just a list of random spices and with out any quantities." She jabbed.

They dynamic of the group was something you could only dream of. No one was trying to one up each other or get the final word. It was just free flowing like you'd imagine a group of old friends would do at a café on the river in Paris. It made Chiang Mai feel like home for me. The stories and memories they shared made the city less touristic and more enigmatic. There was more to it than what we had seen so far. We had just brushed the surface.


As the conversation moved through different food topics, it somehow transitioned into macro economic food trends across the globe and labor difficulties in different countries. It was one of those conversations you can't recall but remember it being intelligent. By the time it ended, it was 1am and we were all sufficiently tired. Tom and I left proud to have spent the night with a mix of international locals. There is something nice about freeing yourself of the confines of tourism and spending the night as if you were in your own home town talking with friends. 




No comments:

Post a Comment